If you’re keen on taking your cat outdoors for short walks but want to make sure that your cat is safe, a cat harness and leash may be the best option. You probably don’t allow your cat to prowl your neighbors’ yards or play alone outdoors, but if you keep your cat on a harness and leash, he or she will have a great time exploring the neighborhood with you.
Today there are at least 85 million domestic cats that live in U.S households. Because cats are known to be deeply connected to their home territory, not much thought has gone into how much a cat may enjoy being walked outdoors if they don’t have an enclosed backyard. We may not realize that even though we have cat-friendly homes, human homes may fail to meet the environmental needs of cats.
That said, cats need to move around freely and get enough physical exercise to have a healthy and satisfying life. To do so, your cat may benefit from a cat harness so that he can be mentally stimulated outdoors and get enough exercise.
|rabbitgoo Cat Harness and Leash
|PetSafe Come With Me Kitty Harness
|S, M, L
|Supet Cat Harness
|XS, S, M, L, XL
|Voyager Step-In Air Harness
|XXXS, XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL
|FayoGoo Cat Harness
|S, M, L
|S, M, L, XL
There are several significant perks to a cat harness, especially if you want to get your kitty to walk on a leash so she can explore the great outdoors or want to give your indoor cat a little stroll in the garden for mental stimulation.
If you’re opting for a long-distance trip and hotel stay during a pet vacay with your cat, cat harnesses work well and provide the safety that you’ll need.
The perfect solution is a cat harness. Since there so many different types of cat harnesses out on the market today, we’re here to help you make a choice.
Cat harnesses are split into a few categories – allowing you to fine-tune your cat’s requirements. Here’s the take:
Type of Harness for Cats
The most popular type of cat harness for walking cats is the vest harness. This covers your kitty in a secure vest-type harness that you can easily attach a leash to and have fun outdoors.
Many cat parents find this type of harness to be the most secure because it features a good combination of safety and flexibility for your cat. Vest harnesses are comfortable, lightweight, and most often machine washable.
Step-In Cat Harness
This type of harness is crafted with leg and armholes, which your kitty quickly steps into before allowing you to fasten the harness.
Step-in harnesses allow for the most amount of flexibility and mobility. They work well for all types of cats, most especially those who don’t like wearing vest-style cat harnesses or having their head go through the opening of any clothing item placed over their heads.
Harnesses for cats are available in several styles; they can be crafted with straps, similar to a dog harness, or they may feature a vest that is easy to put on the cat for optimal security.
Vest Style Kitty Harnesses
A vest-style harness is a popular option among cat parents because they offer optimal safety for the escape artist cat that can back and twist out of a regular cat harness. Velcro vest harnesses are adjustable and are a bit more difficult for your kitty to wriggle out of, essentially making this type of harness an effective “escape-proof” pet velcro harness.
Harnesses can also feature varying types of closures – Velcro is easier to close on difficult cats may catch on long fur. The velcro noise may annoy some cats, while buckles can be a bit more challenging to handle with difficult cats or kittens.
H-Style Cat Harness
Another popular type of kitty harness is the H-style which is crafted with two separate parts.
These may be the least secure of all harnesses, yet the advantage of using these is that the cat has more mobility.
If your kitty is laidback and leash trained, the H style harness may be a good choice, but make sure that this is used in a low-risk environment with few stressors and no aggressive dog breeds around.
The figure 8 harness combines excellent features from the other cat harness styles, resulting in a hybrid kitty harness.
The design of the figure 8 harness works in a way that tightens when your cat pulls on the leash, and there is tension. The disadvantage of using these is that some cats will fight against them and try to escape.
Cat Harness Sizing
It only needs two easy to take measurements to find your cat’s perfect correct harness size. To measure your cat for a harness, you should use a tape measure and take his front and back measurement. For the front measurement, you should measure your kitty’s shoulder blades, around the front of his breast bone, and then go back again.
To measure his back measurements, you should start measuring from your kitty’s shoulder blades, around the back of his legs, and back again. The tape measure should pass closely behind his elbows but not too tightly to allow for freedom of movement. Once you’ve taken your kitty’s measurements, you can compare them to your brand’s sizing chart.
If your cat is between two sizes, you should opt for the smaller of the two for a snug and secure fit. This makes the cat harness escape-proof. It’s also more of a comfortable fit for your cat because the harness won’t move around. Nonetheless, if your kitty only needs around half an inch more, you can use the adjustable straps to loosen the straps at the back or front of the harness.
You should also think about location and where you’re going to walk your kitty. A four to 6-foot kitty leash is perfect for walking around your neighborhood where you need to be in control and to have your cat close to you. An extendable leash may be more difficult for controlling your cat around bushes or where there are dogs or ducks.
We considered several criteria when choosing the best cat harnesses for 2024; whether they were comfortable, how well they distributed weight of the cat’s neck and shoulders, the quality and durability of stitching, reflective bands, and ‘escapability.’ You should also note that many of these harnesses come with their complimentary cat leashes. Here’s the take:
rabbitgoo Cat Harness and Leash
Rabbitgoo is an extremely popular pet brand with over 23,000 positive ratings. They also carry dog products and are priced affordably. The Rabbitgoo cat harness is designed to fit perfectly around your cat’s body for a secure fit.
This is an escape-proof cat harness that features a 59-inch leash set. We like this cat harness because it’s crafted with bright reflective strips and features reinforced stitching for optimal durability. It’s also priced affordably for multi-cat homes.
- Available in 10 colors
- Double ring closure
- Resistant material
- Customizable fit for all cat sizes
- Complimentary cat leash with the harness
- Soft and lightweight (approx. 100g)
- Suitable for daily walking, jogging, training, and any outdoor fun time
- Features 4 adjusting straps that allow a just-right fit for your flexible cat.
- Two sturdy safety buckles for optimal safety
- Durable metal leash clip on the back
- Hassle-free overhead cat harness that's easy to put on and take off
- Breathable air mesh fabric to maximize comfort
- Not suitable for machine wash
PetSafe Come With Me Kitty Harness and Bungee Leash
PetSafe Cat harness is available in three sizes and six colorways. There are multiple adjustment points on this harness to allow for a comfortable and safe fit. PetSafe is a lightweight and breathable design that works well on cats that don’t enjoy the feel of a traditional harness. The cat harness applies gentle pressure to a cat’s shoulders and not the neck and throat area. We like this cat harness because the fabric has a stretchy bungee feel and also comes with a complimentary cat leash.
- Small: 9-11 in. girth;
- Medium: 10.5-14 in. girth;
- Large: 13-18 in. girth
- Nylon fabric
- Crafted with a sternum slide that adjusts to ensure a perfect fit
- Available in 3 sizes
- Priced affordably
- Limited lifetime warranty against defects
- Lightweight, breathable, and easy to wear
- Global brand in the pet industry for over 30 years
- Two D-rings on the back, allowing an increase of tension (when needed)
- Elastic bungee leash provides a little extra "give" to soften the effect when your cat reaches the end of the leash
- Easy to put on
- It comes with a 4-foot bungee leash that stretches to 6 feet for gentle "give" when walking
- It may be challenging to put on if your cat is finicky
Supet Cat Harness and Leash Set
This is also another pet harness and leash set that can be used on small dog breeds. The Supet cat and small dog harnesses are available in ten trendy colorways and are suitable for walking, jogging, and all outdoor adventures with kitty. We like this cat harness because of all the color and size options. These run from XS to XL. Here’s the take
- Priced well for multi-cat homes
- All sizes for all cat breeds, large and small
- Two side buckles for optimal safety and secure closure
- Crafted with comfortable adjustable straps for a perfect and secure fit
- Crafted with reflective stripes that can reflect ambient light
- Features vest-style design to ensure the even pressure distribution across the chest and shoulders to prevent choking or neck strain
- Alloy D-rings
- Lightweight & cool nylon fabric with breathable mesh lining
- Universal design
- Some cats may not enjoy wearing this
Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness
Voyager cat harness for long catwalks features over 78,000 positive ratings from satisfied customers. This harness is available from XXXS to XL with over 29 trendy colorways to choose from.
This brand is affordable, allowing you to purchase a different color for every day of the week. There is also an excellent sizing chart online that’s pretty easy to understand and explains what sizes you need according to your cat’s chest, neck, and weight measurements.
We like this cat harness because not only is it a safe option for outdoor walks with kitty, but it’s available in so many great colorways and all sizes. Here’s the take on this cat harness.
- All-weather mesh in fun bright colors
- Priced affordably for multi-cat homes
- Crafted in 4 sizes from XS to XL for all cat breeds
- Reflective bands for optimal safety during dusk and dawn walks with kitty
- Super soft material that does not irritate the skin
- Features a hook and loop fastener for optimal safety
- Buckle and double D-rings work together to protect your kitty in three layers of security
- Lightweight fabric that's stretchable & lightweight
- Step-in harness that's easy to put on
- It can be used on dogs too
- Crafted with velcro (3 layers of security during kitty walks)
- Lightweight and comfortable for all cat sizes
- Plastic buckle
FAYOGOO Cat Harness and Leash for Walking Escape Proof
FayoGoo cat harness with leash features dense nylon velcor, for optimal stickiness. The harness can securely wrap your cat in 360 degrees to prevent twisting out of the cat harness during catwalks.
This harness has over 1,600 positive reviews and is also incredibly lightweight and easy to wear. It’s available in 3 sizes, from small to large, and five colorways. There’s also thickened webbing for optimal security while out on a catwalk.
- Priced well for multi-pet homes
- Works well on small dog breeds and cats
- Dense nylon velcor
- Breathable, lightweight mesh that's comfortable to wear even during hot summer months
- Crafted with air-mesh padding edge for optimal comfort
- 3M reflective strips design for dusk & dawn safety
- Features a unique rotating buckle
- Crafted with upgraded mesh fabric, high quality, thicker, more durable, and breathable
- Easily adjustable
- The kitten harness has a lightweight plastic rotating buckle
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Leg openings may not be large enough for large cats
- Sizing not great-may run small
PUPTECK Checkered Frills Soft Mesh
This is another adjustable and comfortable cat harness that features a soft handle and breathable mesh harness. These cat harnesses are available in small, medium, and large and can also be used on small dog breeds or other small pets like rabbits.
PupTeck is crafted with a unique soft-closure in the neck and chest areas, as well as a plastic closure by the neck to prevent your cat from escaping. We like this harness because it features a double D-ring for added safety and is machine washable.
- Adjustable slider for a perfect fit
- Ten fun colors
- Easy to secure closure
- Featured in four sizes that include small to extra-large
- Two heavy D rings
- Crafted with a durable buckle
- Flexible velcro that expands in the chest area
- Features lightweight & breathable air mesh fabric
- Well-fitted cat harness that prevents cats from escaping
- Comfortable and safe pressure distribution
- It works well on other pets like rabbits
- Complimentary nylon leash
- Fastening under the belly may be difficult, depending on the cat
Like dogs and people, cats need plenty of toys and interactions with family, other pets and people. If you find that your kitty has been stuck inside an apartment or home, unable to go outside and experience sunshine and external stimuli like birds and squirrels, think about getting a cat harness for walking your cat. Even cats that are very friendly and seem happy indoors will do well with sunshine and a short walk.
As usual, it’s good to start early training your kitten to wear a harness and to walk on a leash. Stick to a routine, and reward with your cat’s favorite treats and lots of praise when first starting. Soon you’ll both be having plenty of fun exploring the outdoors!