If you’re looking for an excellent flea shampoo for your dog, you may be confused as to which one to purchase. Fleas transmit numerous diseases and can also cause allergies and or anemia in dogs and cats. There are over 2,200 different types of fleas today, yet only a few types exist in the U.S.
The two most common ones include the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis) and the dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis). Your veterinarian will always be the best source of information because they know your dog, understand their medical history and know the risks associated with your geographic area, but if you’re looking for some good tips and info, read our best flea shampoo reviews.
Fleas can cause a tremendous amount of aggravation and result in severe skin irritation in pets and people. To prevent flea issues in your home that can turn into significant problems for everyone, it’s best to think about using a good and effective flea shampoo to stop fleas the first time around.
Effective flea treatments have to be safe, effective, and easy to use. That said, how does one find the right flea shampoo to use? Here’s the take on our top 7 picks for the best flea shampoos for dogs in 2023.
|Veterinary Formula Antiparasitic||Best Overall||9.4||Average price||-||✔||×||×||12 weeks of age|
|Veterinary Formula Flea Shampoo||9.3||Average price||-||✔||✔||×||12 weeks and older|
|Vet's Best Flea and Tick Advanced||Our Choice||9.1||Average price||-||✔||✔||✔||12 weeks or older|
|TropiClean Natural Shampoo||9.0||Average price||up to 7 days||✔||✔||×||12 weeks or older|
|Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo||8.7||Average price||up to 28 days||✔||✔||✔||12-weeks and older|
|Richard's Organics Shampoo||Best Value||8.4||Low price||-||✔||✔||×||12 weeks and older|
|SENTRY Oatmeal Shampoo||8.2||Low price||-||✔||✔||×||12 weeks of age and over|
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo
This Synergy Labs product features coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur to treat skin scaling caused by seborrhea, relieve mange and other parasitic infections, and aid in treating both fungal and bacterial infections.
With over 36,600 positive ratings, Veterinary Formula Clinical Care is a fast-acting antiparasitic and antiseborrheic medicated dog shampoo. Here’s the take with this veterinary formulated product.
- Medicated antiparasitic and antiseborrheic shampoo
- Crafted with veterinary-grade ingredients
- It contains both colloidal oatmeal and allantoin hydrate skin and promotes healing
- Paraben, dye, and soap-free
- Priced well
- Crafted with coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur to treat skin scaling caused by seborrhea
- Beneficial in relieving mange and other parasitic infections
- Features colloidal oatmeal and allantoin hydrate skin and promote healing
- Effective against fungal & bacterial skin infections
- Antiparasitic shampoo that's natural with no chemicals
- Large product line
- The smell may not be that great
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea and Tick Shampoo
The Synergy Labs Veterinary Antiparasitic shampoo (above) and the Clinical Care flea and tick shampoo are good options to keep at home. This product is crafted with pyrethrum to kill fleas and ticks on contact.
With up to 3x more active ingredients and over 4,800 positive reviews from satisfied customers, Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea & Tick Shampoo for pets is effective as a natural insecticide.
Pyrethrum is derived from flowers and is effective in killing fleas and ticks on contact. We like this brand because it’s all-natural with no toxic chemicals and no side effects to watch out for. You can also use this product on pups, kittens, and livestock over 12 weeks of age.
- Natural insecticide
- Soap & paraben free
- Formulated for pets
- Leaves the coat soft & shiny
- 0.25% Permethrin formula controls fleas and ticks on contact
- Crafted with aloe & lanolin to soothe skin
- Effective in gently cleansing & exfoliating skin & coat
- Priced well for multi-pet households
- Controls & kills fleas & ticks on contact
- It leaves a good fresh scent on your dog's coat
- It may not be effective at times
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo
We like Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Advanced because it is veterinary formulated and features twice as much effectiveness in killing fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact. It also cleans and deodorizes your dog’s coat.
This product has over 4,000 positive ratings and is a natural formula with no toxic chemicals that can harm your dog. It destroys with a plant-based formula-rosemary and peppermint. Here’s the take with this product:
- Priced well
- No added colors or fragrance
- 100% certified essential oils
- Large pet product line
- Plant-based formula
- All-natural featuring peppermint, thyme, and rosemary essential oils
- Veterinary formulated formula
- Safe to use with a clean smell
- Suitable for pups 12 weeks and older
- Easy to rinse and lather
- It kills ticks & fleas on contact
- Made in the U.S.
- It may not be effective in some cases
TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo
Tropiclean Natural flea & tick shampoo for dogs can also be used on puppies over 12 weeks. This shampoo kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes by contact. It’s effective in repelling fleas, ticks, larvae, and eggs for up to 7 days when used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
Tropiclean has over 2,700 positive reviews and is crafted with 0.17% clove oil as its first ingredient and lemongrass as its second ingredient at 1.53%. We like this flea and tick shampoo because it’s natural without pyrethrin, permethrin, and no artificial colors or fragrances.
- Priced well
- No toxic ingredients
- Large range of products
- Repels for up to 7 days
- All-natural with cedar wood, sesame, clove, cinnamon, and lemongrass oil
- Maximum strength natural formula
- Citrus aroma
- Safe for routine bathing
- No artificial coloring or fragrances
- It lathers up easily and shampoos well
- It may not work with fleas
Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo
Adams features over 9,300 positive reviews and is a reputable pet brand. This product kills fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae, and lice. It features an insect growth regulator (IGR) to kill and prevents flea development for up to 28 days.
It’s good on both cats and dogs and pets that are 12 weeks and older. This is a shampoo that’s very effective at breaking up the flea lifecycle. The ingredients are Methoprene 0.10%, Pyrethrins 0.15%, Piperonyl Butoxide 1.88%, and other ingredients 97.87%.
Although we’re not a big fan of any products that are not natural, if you have a significant flea infestation, this product will destroy every pesky critter. Here’s why this product is popular.
- Sold by vets for over 30 years
- The brand includes flea & tick topical products, shampoos, collars, and sprays for your home
- Priced well
- It may be used every 7 to 10 days (if necessary) for adult flea relief
- Effectively kills flea eggs and flea larvae for 28 days to prevent re-infestation
- Scent leaves the coat soft, shiny, and smelling good
- Sensitive skin formula that contains deep conditioners to remove loose dandruff, dirt, and scales
- Enriched with oatmeal, coconut extract, lanolin, and aloe
- Stops fleas in all stages
- Some pets are susceptible to pyrethrin
Richard’s Organics Flea and Tick Shampoo
This flea and tick shampoo is another Synergy Labs product for dogs. It’s another natural formula with over 1,000 positive reviews. Richard’s is different from traditional flea shampoos because it uses gentle and safe ingredients.
Richard’s Flea and Tick Shampoo uses 100% all-natural actives to kill fleas and ticks rather than harsh chemicals with possible side effects. This is a paraben-free dog shampoo that is made with naturally derived ingredients and essential oils.
It does not remove topical spot-on flea and tick treatments and has been proven to safely and naturally kill fleas and ticks while soothing irritated skin. Here’s the take on this effective and natural flea and tick shampoo for dogs.
- Priced well
- Specifically formulated for pups 12 weeks and older
- pH balanced treatment is ideal for your dog's sensitive skin
- All-natural actives flea & tick shampoo treatment
- Also repels mosquitoes
- Made in the U.S.
- Natural, gentle & safe
- Repels mosquitoes
- Kills fleas
- No harsh chemicals
- Natural solutions for better health
- Paraben, dye, and soap-free
- No harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances
- Smells good
- Once a month use
- It may not be effective against all fleas
SENTRY Oatmeal Flea and Tick Shampoo
Sentry has over 3,000 positive reviews and is priced well for multi-pet homes. Sentry Flea and Tick Oatmeal Shampoo for dogs and puppies has a great Hawaiian ginger fragrance. Sentry oatmeal flea and tick formula kill fleas and ticks for up to ten days. This formula is effective in killing deer ticks that may carry Lyme disease.
- Destroys fleas and ticks for as long as ten days, including ticks that may carry Lyme disease
- Crafted with oatmeal for dogs with sensitive skin
- Gently cleans, deodorizes, and conditions your dog's coat
- Hawaiian Ginger scent
- 18 oz. bottle
- Priced well
- Contains 0.10% permethrin
- Cleans, deodorizes, and conditions your dog's coat
- pH balanced
- Super potent shampoo
- Destroys fleas and ticks for as long as ten days
- Crafted with oatmeal to soothe irritated skin
- It kills deer ticks that carry Lyme disease
- Not for use on pups less than 12 weeks of age
- Formulated with permethrin
Dogs and cats are highly prone to getting fleas in warm or hot climates when air temperatures and humidity is high. Dogs can see fleas on other pets and in their homes.
Fleas use their powerful hind legs to jump on the “host,” which is your dog or cat, and then bite the animal. These bites can cause itching, hair loss & hot spots from itching, inflamed lesions, and even severe skin infections requiring veterinary treatment and medication.
You may also see tiny dirt-like particles on your pet – which are flea feces and digested blood. You should always visit your veterinarian for treatment if your dog or cat has a flea infestation.
Because female fleas can live up to a few weeks on your cat or dog and have the ability to lay between 20-30 eggs a day during that time, it’s essential to use a preventative during the spring and hot summer months.
Some flea eggs will hatch into larvae on your pet, while the others may fall off, onto your carpet and furniture, and even your dog’s bed – where they feed off skin scales and other organic matter.
Pet parents need to treat both the dog and the inside & outside home environments when dealing with a flea issue in their homes and on their pets. This needs to be done right away. By using an effective flea & tick shampoo and working with your veterinarian to help treat your pet’s skin infection, you’ll be helping your pet and your family.
Flea and tick shampoos for dogs may feature ingredients that are toxic to cats and other household pets. Check the ingredients list before using it on your cat and read the directions carefully before using any flea and tick shampoo on your pets.
Pyrethrins and pyrethroids are fast working but don’t last long in the environment. There are more powerful flea and tick products that are longer lasting and much more toxic. These include cholinesterase inhibitors and are sold under names like carbaryl, diazinon, fenthion, malathion, Dursban, and Sevin.
Consult with your veterinarian before using them, and think twice before doing so. To safely eradicate fleas from your home, you need to treat both your dog and your home, but at the same time, this needs to be done safely by using appropriate products that are veterinarian-approved.
Also, make sure that you’re not combining chemicals using different flea and tick products on your pet. This could be toxic for both your pet and your family. In addition, you can always opt for natural repellant flea and tick collars that are fast and easy to use.
Flea and tick collars feature a plant-based formula that is sometimes veterinarian-approved depending on the brand. This is to ensure 100% pet safety and product efficacy. What we like most about flea and tick collars is that they are free of phthalates and PVC. Many brands are one size and are easily adjustable to fit dog breeds with neck sizes up to 20 inches. They are just as effective as flea and tick shampoos and offer complete body protection from head to tail!